Question: Why does cancer research need to raise so much money?(is it expensive to find a cure?)

1. Yes, research can be very expensive, especially the kinds of research that needs lots of equipment.

0

2. Unfortunately, most of the equipment we need is very expensive, as are the chemicals and other things we need for experiments. So, yes, doing research to try and find a cure for cancer is very expensive.

0

3. hi marema,

cancer research (but I would say research in general) needs so much money, because there are so many things that we don’t know and we don’t understand about cancer :( And doing research is very expensive. To give you an idea of how much it costs, almost every experiment that I do in the lab costs at least 100£ and on average I do about 3 experiments a week! And this is also why we have to think a lot and plan carefully the experiments that we want to do, because we don’t want to waste money.

0

4. Doing research into finding ways of treating cancer is expensive. Money is required to buy lab equipment, drugs, chemicals, animals for testing, imaging systems and, most importantly, to pay the salaries of the researchers! Also, because the problem is so complex, people will be researching cancer for many years yet – so we know that the cost is only going to increase with time. Fortunately, lots of kind people give money to cancer research charities, and we get some government funding.

0